Saturday, September 24, 2011

I run for Lissie.

Six and a half months ago, I gave birth to my firstborn daughter, Lissie, via scheduled C-section.

Two months ago, I had another major surgery to remove fibroids in my uterus.

Even after all that, I still had my sights set to run the Women's Half Marathon.

At first, I wanted to run to lose the rest of my baby weight and get back in shape. Then I realized with all of my recovery time from my surgeries, taking care of a baby, and an excruciatingly hot summer, I just didn't have time to devote to proper training.

I had lots of naysayers tell me not to do it or that I couldn't do it. And then my friend dropped out because of a foot injury, and another friend dropped down to the 5K because she didn't feel ready. And so, I started second-guessing myself. Yeah, I may have four half marathons and two full marathons under my belt, but I actually trained for them and didn't have any major surgeries preventing me from running. And then there was the cut-off time of 4 hours....could I even do it in that time frame? I started getting nervous and anxious and worried.

Fast forward to race day.

I was super motivated to do well. The weather was perfect, I had great music in my iPod, and I was as ready as I would ever be.

I told myself to just go slow, and at least try not to walk the first half of the run. But once I started running, I just couldn't stop. I kept thinking about my journey to where I was. I kept thinking of Lissie. Of my family. Of all the people who told me that I was insane. And I just kept on going, stopping only for water and to switch up music on my iPod.

And then, all of a sudden, I was across the finish line in a very respectable 2:41. I did it. I did it better than I could've ever dreamed.

I did it for Lissie. For my family. And for all of the people who told me I couldn't.

It may not have been my fastest one, but the sense of accomplishment I felt after this one was THE. BEST. FEELING. EVER. And celebrating with friends afterwards was just icing on the cake.


So....who's running it with me next year?

1 comment:

  1. You are so inspiring, Noreen! Seriously, I've had such a hard time dragging my butt to the gym and just getting back in shape after Noah was born, but you show me it can be done. I'm not ready for a half marathon yet, but I'm signed up for a 5k in November and planning to run another in February or March!

    ReplyDelete

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law