Monday, March 17, 2014

5K Fun/Run Run Run 2014 Version




After last year's half marathon trifecta, I knew I needed a new 2014 running goal.  Especially since I made a promise to Justin to take a break from long races for the meantime.

 It all started at the end of 2013, when a fellow running friend had mentioned something about doing a 100 Mile Challenge between Thanksgiving and the New Year.  The miles could be logged any way - whether ran or walked or swam, biked, danced, etc.  I was intrigued, although I knew I could never do 100 miles in that time frame, what with two kids, the holidays, and my job.  But, I thought, 50 miles was a perfect challenge to strive for.  I got a group of fellow mom friends together, and we encouraged each other along.  Challenge accepted, and results were achieved!  It was a perfect way to keep motivated to work out, and I didn't have the stresses of having to do long runs as long as I did a few small runs regularly. 

And so began my New Year's Resolution: To log at least 30 miles a month.  Sometimes (as in January and February),  I get ambitious and up the ante with a 40 mile goal.  The results so far?   I have logged 102.6 miles already this year!

I even got Justin to start running.  He just ran his first 5K in a couple of years, and I think he may have caught the bug.  I might have convinced him to run a 10K later this year, and who knows - maybe a half marathon is in his future?  You never know, haha.

But, yep, a group of friends, along with Justin and my dad, ran the Predators Fangtastic 5K this weekend.  The best part about this race (and what ultimately convinced Justin to run it with us) is that you get a ticket to a Preds game when you register.  So while Xavier hung out with his Lola, Lissie had a blast "running" (in a stroller) yet another race and crossing the finish line - not just once,  but twice-  amidst cheering fans giving her high fives.  She had a blast meeting Gnash, the mascot, and especially loved the post-race snacks.  Of course, she also had a good time going to the game that evening - even despite the rowdy Blues fans and the ultimate Preds loss.


Pre-Race Smiles 
Lissie's first finish with Mommy

She loved it so much, she ran it again with Lolo
Replenishing after a grueling workout

Future hockey player
All in all, I think I'm off to a great running start (pun intended) to the year.  It's kept me on the move, I've been able to catch up on shows while on the treadmill, and I'm setting a positive example for my family.  I love that Justin's starting to run, and I especially love how Lissie wants to be a runner just like her mommy.  I wouldn't be surprised if, one day, Xavier's gonna want to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law