Monday, July 12, 2010

First Person to Know / Chicago Girl's Trip




One of my good friends from high school is doing her law school internship in Chicago. What better excuse for me and my bestest friend ever (also from high school) to go up to visit for a girl's weekend!

I wondered how I was going to pretend that I wasn't pregnant in front of my two best friends, and Justin the Pharmacist gave me a wonderful alibi: antibiotics. He even gave me specific dosage info and quizzed me on it. The problem was that I knew that Amanda knows me too well and wouldn't buy into the alibi. Result? We decided that she would be the first person (outside of the two of us) to find out.

[You may be wondering why Amanda is the first person to know and not either of our parents. The reason is that my mother is wayyyy too excited for grandchildren (that's a separate post in and of itself) and we knew she wouldn't be able to keep it a secret....and we don't want to spill the beans until after the first trimester. Besides, Amanda was also the first person to know that I was engaged (another story, as well), so why break tradition now?]

I planned on telling Amanda at lunch, but the girl knows me way too well and stops me IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET to ask me if I was pregnant. Flustered because this was not the way I wanted the news to come out, I said "let's just talk about it at lunch." But being smart and stubborn (sorry, Amanda), she refused to move and asked the question again. I obviously had no choice but to say....YES. This caused quite the commotion as she squealed and jumped and hugged me (IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET), but I was very relieved to have it out in the open...and, especially, to have someone to talk to about it since I've been keeping all of my emotions and concerns and questions all to myself.



Girls' weekend was a blast. We caught up, planned weddings (both Amy and Amanda are in wedding-mode....so exciting!), ate well, shopped well, and took in the sights. It was Baby's first (in utero) plane ride and weekend getaway. It was also a huge success!






1 comment:

  1. There is no such thing as keeping a secret from Amanda :o)

    ReplyDelete

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law