Saturday, October 2, 2010

30

Ah, 30. It's one of those milestones birthdays that you know is inevitable, but yet somehow you think it'll never happen to you.

But on September 22, 2010, it did.

And in good 'ole Noreen Birthday Style, the celebration somehow managed to last more than just the one day :-)

The few people (Justin, my parents, my students) who still ask me what I want for my birthday were probably disappointed when I said, in all honesty, that I didn't want anything. I'm totally content with the way things are going in my life right now - happy marriage, Baby Y on the way, and the best job ever - that there was seriously nothing that I could think of that I wanted except to just spend time with the people I love the most.

And the wish was granted.

Justin booked a mini "baby-moon" and birthday weekend getaway at a bed and breakfast in the Smokies for the weekend before my birthday. And it was amazing! The food was spectacular, the mountain views were breathtaking, and we just spent the weekend relaxing without a care in the world.


This is Christopher's Place. The best B&B in the Smokies.


This is the delightful picnic lunch they gave us as we set off on a hike. A hike that was cut short due to Justin's paranoia that I would get poison ivy. Apparently poison ivy and pregnancy don't mix well and Mr. Pharmacist was not about to risk any of that. Oh, well - the picnic was still delicious :-)


A sunrise view of the Smokies from the verandah.


A surprise birthday treat from my bestest friend, Amanda. This was given to us while we were lounging by the pool. Yum!

But, of course, that wasn't the end of the birthday celebrating. The night before the anniversary of my debut in the world we had dinner at Basil with my family. If you've never been to Basil, you've got to check it out. Be sure to start with their house salad because, seriously, it's the best I've ever had.


Doesn't it look scrumptious?

We ended the evening with a birthday tradition: ICE CREAM CAKE!




And that leads us to Wednesday - my actual birthday.

Among other niceties (birthday flowers from the folks, small gifts from my students, phone calls and facebook messages from friends and family, etc.), the highlight of the day was dinner at Fleming's Steakhouse. Even though my allergies were starting to flare up and my tastebuds were not working right, the food was better than anything imaginable.

Oh, and to top it off, JORDAN TOOTOO from the Nashville Predators was there, too! He's one of my absolute favorite players, so I was pretty psyched about that little birthday gift. Justin likes to think that he planned it that way - haha. Anyway, I was too embarrassed to get a photo with him, but the moment will forever live on in my memory.


The fancy free birthday dessert!

So, yeah, 30's gonna be okay. Even with a rough beginning (those allergies are something else - especially when you try and be brave and not take anything!), I'm still thinking that my 30s are gonna be pretty good decade. Who'd a thought that I'd be ready to be all grown up?


Cheers to being 30!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law