Monday, March 7, 2011

Final thoughts about pregnancy

In less than two days, I'll finally get to meet my daughter. Being a planner, I'm glad to know when it's happening...but it definitely is a little surreal at the same time.

Friday was my last day of work. It was weird turning in my keys and hauling (or rather, having Justin haul) the last bit of my stuff to the car and saying goodbye to my co-workers that I've known for over four years. It was difficult saying goodbye to my class and former students, and I made lots of promises to come visit and introduce them to Baby Yasette. It was a good last day - I ended it with my annual field trip to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, where my kids managed to raise the most money for the hospital (over $2200!) than any class I ever had. What better way to end my tenure at the school?

I've been spending these last few days before Baby Girl's arrival getting the house cleaned, the nursery as ready as can be, and doing all sorts of last minute things that I don't want to be bothered with once she arrives (i.e. car oil changes and those dreaded taxes)!

Anyway, before Baby Girl arrives and I forget what it's like to be pregnant, here are my parting thoughts on this pregnancy:

* I've definitely had it easy. Even with the emergency hospital visit back in December, I've been blessed with a relatively painless pregnancy. I almost feel guilty when I talk to my pregnant friends who've experienced all sorts of symptoms that I've somehow managed to avoid.

* Having said that, though, this last trimester has been rough - but nothing to really complain about. Yeah, I had to give up walking (waddling?) in a 5K and exercise has pretty much been nonexistent but it's been better than the few days that I had to deal with ridiculous back pain and heating pads. Yeah, I've had to wake up several times a night to go to the bathroom, but at least I've always been able to go back to sleep afterwards (with a few exceptions). Yeah, my big belly gets in the way sometimes and causes me to move slower, but it's not something I can't manage.

* I'm going to miss the pregnancy perks: strangers who let me cut in line at the restroom (especially when it's a long one, like at the Preds game last month!), people offering to help me with my bags at the grocery store, the expectant mom parking, and just the general kindness I've felt among people throughout this pregnancy.

* Boys have it easy. Justin has said throughout these last few months that he'd gladly trade places with me if he could...or at least tag-team it so he'll carry the next kid. I wish...

Here's some of the latest pregnancy shots (taken at 38 weeks) before the focus turns solely on Baby Girl Y:


1 comment:

  1. YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm soo excited for you! Which hospital and what date! I'm sure I over looked the detail in your posts... Please keep up the posting (with all your new free time HA!). I really loved keeping up with your excitement! :)
    Ladonna

    ReplyDelete

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law