Sunday, August 26, 2012

Dear Xavier - Two Months (Welcome Home Edition)

Dear Xavier,

For weeks, I have been hoping, praying, and crossing my fingers that you would be celebrating your two-month birthday away from the hospital. Thankfully, God is good and answered my prayers. After 60 days in the NICU, you are finally home.

I'll admit that I'm nervous, especially regarding your need for oxygen. After learning how to use the equipment the other day, I have felt very overwhelmed with this added responsibility and how it makes simple things like carrying you up and down our many stairs or even moving you to get your diaper changed quite difficult. Your oxygen concentrator is quite heavy, and there are so many components; and you are just one tiny 'lil guy!

But, after Day One, I feel that even with this added challenge, it is totally worth having you home. Even though we won't be taking any family outings any time soon, except to your various doctor's appointments and your Lola's house, it is totally worth having you home. Despite the fact that we have to be extra careful about washing our hands and staying germ-free around you, it is totally worth having you home.

It was a little sad saying goodbye to all of the good people who have taken care of you for the last two months. The doctors, nurses, and other staff of the NICU have been so wonderful. Even folks who weren't assigned to you have grown quite fond of not just you, but your sister, as well. I had a difficult time writing our thank you note because nothing can express my sincere gratitude for all of them.

Oh, Xavier, I never realized how scary your birthday was for you until I read your discharge papers today. I didn't know that you entered this world not breathing. You needed CPR - 30 chest compressions - immediately. I've always known that you were my little miracle, but I never knew how close we were to losing you before I even got a chance to know you.

And so we celebrate. We had a lovely welcome home dinner with your lolos and lola, and even some special visitors from Michigan. Your Lola Janet and Lolo Ed drove down to see you!

I am pleased to say that even your sister is glad that you are home. After her initial shock of seeing you in the car seat next to her, she has warmed up to your presence and has spent a good chunk of the day giving you kisses and examining your ears, fingers, and toes.

Welcome home, my baby boy. I'm so glad you're here.

Stay healthy and strong.

Love,

Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home, Xavier! You don't know me yet--my daughter Elizabeth and I met your Mommy and Felicity in our JCC swimming class a few months ago. I am so glad that your friend Simon and his Mommy Yana told me about you and told me about these blog posts. I have just read them all in one sitting and have tears of joy at your arrival. You are blessed with a wonderful family.
    Signed,
    Your new friend Sarah Scherrer (Elizabeth's Mommy)

    ReplyDelete

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law