Sunday, December 31, 2017

Fall 2017

I'm not going to lie - Fall 2017 was a difficult one.  Even bracing myself for the transition of going back to full-time teaching, there were many nights where I came home questioning my decision.  It was hard getting into a routine - between the kids' extracurricular activities (cross-country, cello, girl scouts, basketball) and my extracurriculars (cross-country, liturgical choir, forensics, parish council), lesson planning, homework, cooking, cleaning, it was difficult to maintain a balance and some sanity!  I missed my mornings at the gym.  My time to sew or blog or read or be.  I missed being able to fully be present to help with homework or reading.  I felt frantic.  Always.  Add into the mix finding out that my mom was sick.  And then Justin started a new job himself.  It was almost unbearable.

But, somehow, (gratefully!) shortly after Fall Break, I started getting into a rhythm.  An imperfect groove.  I even found that it was possible to leave work at a decent time and, shockingly, still make it to the gym at least once a week.  Yeah, the laundry is often waiting and the cooking has had to be limited to "easy" or "instant pot" most days, but we're starting to get there.  And, I must say, I'm happy overall.  I have always loved teaching, and I am grateful to be back in the classroom - especially at a school that I love and where my children are - and, thankfully, it just took a little time to get back in the figurative saddle again!

First Day of School Pics:



It was my first day, too!

This picture makes my heart melt. 
She was so happy he was going to be at the same school as her!



Labor Day Weekend:  We planned a quick getaway to a small Georgia lake resort with Lissie's godfamily!  It was such a relaxing weekend with good company, conversation, and - of course- the beach!


My birthday:  Another low key birthday in the books.  It's getting to the point where I sometimes forget how old I am.  Has another year really gone by?  Haha.  We celebrated with lotsa cakes and, of course, noodles for a long life.



Fall Sports:  The kids and I did cross-country this year, and Xavier decided to forego martial arts to try a new sport - basketball.  In October, Justin and I ran the Bourbon Chase relay race with friends.



Running through the bourbon trail and stopping at a few distilleries en route!

It was a hilly course, but look - horses!

A celebratory shot of bourbon at the finish!



Camping: We took two fall camping trips.  One with friends to a lake in Kentucky to jumpstart Fall Break.  It was a rainy weekend, but we did manage to stop by Mammoth Cave.  The other trip was with our church at the not-so-far Montgomery Bell State Park.  We opted for one night at the last minute since we weren't up for another soaked adventure!





Halloween: Despite not knowing anything about Pokemon, Xavier has been fascinated with Pikachu and somehow ended up being him (it?) for Halloween.  Lissie opted for a fairy.  We did Trunk or Treat at school, which was rained out so we had it in the gym.  We also did Haunted Museum again.  And, thankfully, I had somehow convinced the kids that that was enough candy and we didn't need to go out on the actual night of Halloween for more goodies.  (I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get away with that again!)

We also ventured to Cheekwood Harvest and Franklin's PumpkinFest to roundout the pumpkin festivities.







Thanksgiving: Thanksgiving was very lowkey.  Mom had just had a second surgery, so I opted to purchase a precooked turkey and a Honeybaked Ham so I could focus on the sides I like best anyway.  At the last minute, we invited some close friends who were not feeling up for cooking, either, and we all enjoyed a lovely feast.  Xavier, more than all of us as he somehow forgot his "full" button and literally ate until he got sick.  


Other Random Pictures:


At a Sounds Game with church, and they made it on the camera.

Not so bad after just a few months.

She finally got over her fear of ponies/horses and got on one at the Greek Festival

The Arndts came!

Opting to read at our annual Ryan/MBA rivalry game

Taking care of Mr. Mikey, his class pet

Rockin' those cowboy boots

My little girl scout

And scientist
(they did a few Vanderbilt Research Studies)

Skating!

Just a couple of dogs






No comments:

Post a Comment

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law