Monday, January 7, 2019

2019 Word of the Year

It seems to be the thing to do now.  Instead of making a resolution, you find a word.  A word to live by for the next 365 days.  

Okay, I'll bite this year.  It's something that's been on my mind.  In fact, I just finished my Christmas post in which I wrote about making the most of these Christmases because I want them forever ingrained in my family's memories.

So, that's my word.  Memories.

Justin and I decided that this year, instead of giving the kids tangible gifts for Christmas (we left that to Santa), we wanted to give them the gifts of memories.  Of experiences.  Of quality family moments throughout the year.

And so, on the first of each month in 2019, the kids will receive an envelope with a new memory-in-the-making - a fun experience (some big, some small) that we will endeavor together.

The reason for this is two-fold.  My kids don't need STUFF.  We're rarely home anyway to play with our toys, and the kids are mostly content with books and the games and activities we do already have.  What the kids DO  need - what we all need - is our family fostering our relationship as best as we can, and what better way to do that then with memorable experiences?

They actually received a bonus envelope - their first envelope was on Christmas (please, it would be torture to make them wait until January 1st to get their gift!).  They received a letter explaining our gift.  In the envelope was also a DVD collection of family-friendly holiday movies (we ended up binging on Elf and then Christmas Story) and some movie passes and a bowling gift certificate to use over our Christmas vacation.  We ended up watching Mary Poppins Returns together on New Year's Day, but time got away from us and we'll go bowling sometime soon.

Started 2019 with a tub of popcorn the size of their faces.

Because I want my kids to remember these memories, I also intend to blog about each month's activities.  It's why I started this blog in the first place - to be able to look back and remember moments.

So here goes.  Happy New Year!  2019, I'm looking forward to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law