Friday, July 30, 2010

Almost Outed at Dinner

To preface this post, for the past few years there have been a "core" group of my co-workers who'd get together on the occasion with spouses for dinner and drinks. Well, we're all growing up and some are now with babies, one is moving to a new school, and one is moving to a new school and state (well, District). So the other day we had a going away dinner to say our goodbyes to Gary, Anna, and little Ella Grace as they move on to a new chapter in their lives in Washington, DC (yeah, I'm jealous - I miss it up there....)

Gary, Anna, and little Ella Grace were already at McCreary's Irish Pub when Justin and I arrived. After I ordered a lemonade, Gary very bluntly said, "Not to be rude, but are you pregnant? Anna used to order lemonades when she was pregnant." I kind of expected people to wonder, but I was not anticipating a straight-up question (I mean, people do order lemonades when they aren't pregnant, right?), so I avoided it as best as I could with the old "Nah, I just don't like beer" falsehood (what I'd have given for a Harpoon of my own...). He went on to say how a friend of his didn't tell them, only to have them find out later after the friend had moved....making me feel totally guilty for lying, but I just had to maintain the lie. So, Gary, here's my apology to you. I'm sorry for lying. Forgive me?

You'd think that'd be it, right? Nope. I could see people looking at my humongo boobs and checking out my tummy (okay, this might not have been true, but I felt like it was) for hints. I really wished that we hadn't openly talked about wanting to have kids as a group because it made it all the harder to lie about it. I felt like the worst person when Amanda whispered to me, "So you're not drinking tonight, huh?" and I pretended I didn't hear her because I didn't want her to see it on my face. She was, after all, the drama teacher - how can I hide things from her???

After the yummy meal, a few of us went on to Sweet Cece's for delicious froyo. While the boys were talking, Amanda managed to bring up the subject again. Yikes. I did my best to be vague and make it seem like Justin and I are still trying but not quite there, but she kept asking questions about my next running race and coaching cross country and whether I was charting my temperature, that I just KNOW that she's on to me. So, Amanda, this is my apology to you, too. Sorry for lying to you...hope you forgive me, as well.

Man, I can't wait for September to roll around....this secrecy nonsense is driving me bonkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law