Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lissie's Baptism (Mommy's Version)

One of my favorite things about being a (former) second grade teacher in a Catholic school is teaching my faith and preparing my students to receive the sacraments. We begin by discussing the sacrament of baptism. The students interview their parents about their own baptism, and the parish deacon gives the students a "show and tell" of sorts, as he explains the symbols of the ceremony. Since I get this yearly reminder of the importance of baptism, I was definitely looking forward to the day we baptized our daughter.

I wanted Lissie's baptism to have special meaning, so we chose to have it done at the church I attended while I was growing up (where my parents still attend), and by the priest of that parish - who is also a good family friend. Lissie even wore the same baptismal gown that I wore when I was baptized thirty years ago!

Overall, the baptism went well. We even had a chance to visit the tabernacle beforehand to say a prayer of thanksgiving for the special day. I was so preoccupied with making sure that Lissie was okay, that I didn't even cry like Justin thought I would!




We are so thrilled with our choices of Lissie's godparents: my cousin Chris and close friend Amy. We know that these two will be positive role models for our daughter as she grows in her faith and love for Jesus.


After the baptism, we enjoyed a Japanese buffet lunch and got to spend time with our special visitors and guests.

It truly was a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law