Friday, June 24, 2011

Thoughts on Fatherhood after My First Father's Day (By Daddy)

Ever since Noreen and I found out that we were having a girl, I knew I was in trouble. I know I'd love her from the bottom of my heart, but what did I know about raising a girl?
I'm an only child and a boy. Dresses and hair and bows - what? Even at 3-months-old, how many components can there be to just one outfit?!?!

Luckily, and thankfully, to Noreen's natural mothering skills, it hasn't been too much of a challenge caring for this baby girl. Lissie has been quite a happy baby despite the fact that I don't really seem to know what I'm doing a lot of the time.

Sometimes, though, I'll think about the challenges we will face when Lissie gets older, and I get a little anxious. I start to think about the teenage years and begin to dread the inevitable - puberty, driving, the cost of education and extracurricular activities and, most of all, BOYS! I now have a burgeoning dislike for all teenage boys. How are we to raise a responsible, faithful girl while surrounded by all that this society has to throw at her? How are we to make sure she makes all the right choices and none of the wrong ones? (Of course, it's idealistic to think she won't make any mistakes along the way.)

I think that Noreen could sense these ever-growing worries of mine and graciously provided me with a powerful first Father's Day gift - Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know by Dr. Meg Meeker. The first chapter alone details the daunting task we fathers have and how important our role is to our daughters - sometimes more important an mothers. However, Dr. Meeker continues to guide us to be upstanding role models and heroes for our family. I highly recommend this book to all men who play any role in raising girls.

Despite all the worries, Noreen and I are very happy to have Lissie in our lives.
We are fortunate to have such a happy and healthy baby. When I leave to go to work each day, I miss her, but Noreen frequently sends me pictures or videos of what Lissie is up to, and that makes the time go by quickly. I always look forward to coming home and spending time with them both, even if it is just to nap.

It's true, though, that life has completely changed. We can no longer just decided to go out and eat on a whim. Watching a movie in the theater - what's that like?

But every moment with her is an adventure, and we wouldn't give up for a second.

Lissie, I love you. I promise to do everything in my power to be all you need me to be. I promise to be the best father to you that I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law