Monday, April 30, 2012

Half Marathon #6. Check.

Back in December, my friend Stacy told me about her New Year's resolution to run a 5K a month. I absolutely loved the idea of that challenge, and even thought that the annual April Country Music Half Marathon would be a perfect addition to the goal.

And then, in early January, I found out I was pregnant. But I didn't let that stop me. I ran the ZooRunRun in January.

Then came the Fangtastic Preds 5K.
March included the Kegs and Eggs St. Patty's Day race. Which led me to April.

Every month that I went to my OB to check on Baby2, I'd ask my doc if I could still run a half marathon. And every month, she always said yes (with the caveat, of course, that I train properly and NOT go for a personal record). Even still, I was nervous and didn't sign up for the run until just a week before the race - after one last doctor's visit and one final 11 mile run that felt great.

In all honesty, I most likely would have backed out of running the 13.1-mile race, except that my former college roommate, Ashley, was coming down from Chicago to run it. I couldn't let her down and do it alone. Especially since I got the "all clear" from my doc and didn't really have a legitimate excuse not to.

So, last Friday, I picked Ash up from the airport, we headed to the Expo, pasta-ed it up for dinner, and went to bed early to prepare for the big race.

It's hard not to get pumped about running when you've got 30,000 other folks all lined up on West End Avenue feeling the same mix of excitement, nervousness, and "what the heck did I just sign up for?" emotions during the opening performance of our National Anthem. And then we were off.

I turned on my trusty Garmin and told myself to go SLOW, no matter what. My normal 10-12 minute pre-pregnancy miles needed to turn into a slow and steady 14-15 minute pace. I kept reminding myself that just completing a 13.1 mile run, regardless of the speed, is an accomplishment. Whether it be at my personal best of 2:19 or at what I was anticipating to be a 3:30 finish.

Yet, despite the heat and the hills, I was feeling pretty darn good, and actually exceeded my own expectations and finished much earlier than expected at a final time of 3:07. Sure, it's nowhere close to a PR, but it was quite an accomplishment nonetheless. And, yes, I am pretty darn proud of myself.

(My shirt says, "Yes, my doctor says it's ok to run!" Haha.)

Ashley also managed to do awesome, despite her nervousness about the crazy Nashville hills, and she managed to get a PR by 7 minutes. Whoo-hoo!!!

Afterwards, we celebrated with lunch with friends and a nap. A nice long nap.

It was a fun, fun weekend with a fabulous old friend, and I'm so so grateful that I did it. It was a different set of satisfaction as my last half marathon last September, but an awesome achievement, nonetheless!

Look out, May - here I come!

P.S. I'm amending my New Year's resolution to stop running outside when the weather reaches 90+ degrees. I'm pretty sure Baby Boy will appreciate that change of plans. Also, of course, I'm taking September and October off for recovery, but I plan on running two more 5Ks to round out the year.

P.P.S. It looks like Lissie's a runner, too!

P.P.P.S. Who's running it with me next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Two + Two = Us | Blogger Template by Enny Law